We here at Lux & Concord are very excited for the upcoming New York Fashion Week. After a few seasons of experience, we’ve decided to compile a list of must-have items to pack for fashion week. Make sure you’re bringing along these essential items:
1. Phone charger & Phone. During fashion week, we’re useless without our iPhones. So this makes No. 1 on our list, not only to bring in our luggage, but to keep in our purses in case we need to charge up our phones at Lincoln Center, or in the Starbucks at 59th and Columbus, or the bathroom at the Empire Hotel (because let’s face it, trying to get an open socket in the tents is like trying to get a pair of size 8 black pumps at a Louboutin sample sale…competition is fierce).
2. Shades. After a long night of fashion parties, these are clutch the next morning while you’re making it to your 9am fashion show. Everyone at Lincoln Center will have a great pair of shades, so make sure you have yours.
3. Comfy shoes. Okay, while in the tents, it’s perfectly fine to rock your newest, cutest heels, because after all it is fashion week. But what happens when we have a 3:00 show at the tents, and a 3:45 show at Milk Studios? Flats! Change into these bad boys while you run to catch a cab, then switch back into your heels while in the cab before you walk into Milk Studios. Voila, you’re ready for your next show without the tacky accessory of a sprained ankle.
4. Energy bars. Whether you stash a few of whatever version they’re offering in the tents or you pack your own, energy bars are a fashion week must, since it’s rare that you’ll find time for a proper meal, and hypoglycemia does not make the stress of fashion week any easier (plus there are enough hangry bitches walking around out there).
5. Makeup necessities. Now that street style is nearly as big a part of fashion week as the runway, it’s not just the models who need to look good. We’re packing lip gloss, mini-mascara and blotting papers, just in case we need to be ready for our close-up. Those portable Lincoln Center bathrooms may be teeny-tiny and kind of gross (see next item), but they’re worth the occasional stop off to check our appearance.
6. Hand sanitizer. Because those portable Lincoln Center bathrooms are kind of gross. And trust us when we say, fashion week is probably the worst time of year to be sick.
7. A pen and paper. Okay, so it sounds totally old school, but bring a pen and a small notebook. You can’t tweet, take pictures and jot down notes in your phone all at the same time. We always find it helpful for when we’re writing about shows later on if we circle items on a program we’re really into, or take a few notes about trends we’re seeing.
8. Big purse. Where else are you going to put numbers one through seven? A big purse of course. We love the iconic Ps1 by Proenza Schouler (see right). We particularly like this one because it can be carried in different ways, which is especially important if waiting in long lines before a show starts (and of course, usually fashion shows begin late, so it’s best to be prepared).
And there you have it. See you in the tents!