Spring is in the air, and that is certainly something to celebrate on what promises to be another beautiful weekend in Chicago! With lots of fun events coming up in the next few days, we want to make sure you are prepared to toast in the weekend in style. We’ve done the (very tough) research to find the best and brightest spring wines you’ll want to stock your bar cart with for the season.
When getting your wine glasses ready, remember it’s time to swap out those winter reds on your bar cart for light, refreshing whites, bubblies and rosé varietals.
We would never turn down a bit of bubbly in our lives, and right now we are loving Bolla Prosecco DOC. This is a classic bottle you can find in most grocery and liquor stores, so it’ll be easy to add to your rotation. For those who want to live that flute-life without too much sugar, this prosecco is on the dry-er side, but still has nice fruity notes. And of course rosé season can’t come soon enough, so we also have organic options for your tasting pleasure. Pop open a bottle of either Bolla Sparking Rosé or Natura Rosé to pair with appetizers or light dishes while you relax on your patio at home, or take it to your favorite BYOB spot.
There are also plenty of things to toast to this weekend in the Windy City! Grab your newest bubbly purchase and mark your calendar:
- The Bulls are bringing their playoff skills to Chicago! After two upset wins, they are playing the Boston Celtics at home tonight, and you can still spring for tickets to the big game.
- James Beard Eats Week begins tonight and lasts through next week. Nearly 100 Chicago restaurants are offering special menus and cocktails leading up to the 2017 James Beard Awards. Talk about a foodie’s dream!
- Brunch lovers can get their cocktail on while they sample brunch bites and drinks from restaurants like GT Fish & Oyster, River Roast, Dolce Italian and more at Brunch Bites. On Saturday morning, all of River North’s brunch best will be out for this special fest.
- The Cubs are taking on the Reds all weekend, so you can head to Wrigleyville and post up for game time viewing with a mimosa or celebratory bubbly in hand.
- If you want a little musical throwback, Prince’s long time band The Revolution will be playing an intimate show at Metro on Sunday night. Finish your weekend with a dance party toast!
You can, of course, drink your weekend wine all on its own (in whatever size glass you deem appropriate). However, if you want to get a little more creative, we also have some fun wine cocktail recipes to try. Check them out and toast to a weekend well done with friends at home!
- 2 oz Vodka
- 5 oz Rosa Regale
- Lemon Rind garnish
- 1 oz Brandy
- 1 oz White Rum
- 5 oz Rosa Regale
- 6 muddled blueberries
- 2 muddled raspberries
- 1 sprig of mint garnish
- 1 ½ oz Rosa Regale
- 1 Whole Strawberry
- 1 Pineapple Cube
- 1 ½ oz Raspberry Vodka
- ½ oz Simple Syrup
- ½ oz Lime Juice
- 1 oz Soda
Muddle strawberry and pineapple. Add ice, raspberry vodka, simple syrup and lime juice, and shake. Add Rosa Regale and soda. Swirl and strain into 14 oz glass over ice. Garnish with a Pineapple Leaf, skewered Pineapple and Strawberry.