Halloween is such a fun holiday because (aside from the free candy!), it allows us to be someone else for a night. Whether that’s a Disney princess, your favorite emoji, a ghoulish ghost or this year’s hottest pop culture reference, you get to break out of your shell and have some fun! One of the easiest ways to transform yourself, or up the ante on any costume, is to add over-the-top beauty touches. We have simple tips you can enact with ease…
Even if you’re not a makeup or hair expert, there are simple products that can help you put the finishing touches on your ensemble. And, if you haven’t finalized your costume yet, we have help there, too! Here are our favorite unique costume ideas for this year:
- Cruella de Vil: This one comes from the queen of Halloween DIYs herself – Lauren Conrad. She is rocking this simple costume, complete with bold red lip, this year, and we have to say …we’re sold!
- Horoscope Sign: If you’re not the only one in your crew who doesn’t have a costume yet, this is a perfect group costume. Pick a horoscope sign (try to stick to your own if you can), and each do makeup and costumes to match!
- Mother Earth: This one is as simple as they come. Find a green, floral, or even Grecian-inspired dress, and add flowers to your heart’s content! Bonus points for a BA flower crown and fun makeup (see the green touches in the collage below)
- Balloon Drop: Grab a cute, colorful tee and then head to your nearest party store! Buy a whole bunch of balloons and string, then make a skirt by tying the balloons together in rows. Super easy, and a low investment! You can also take it up a notch with glitter makeup or colorful hair extensions to really bring the party.
- Bruno Mars: Want to live your most comfy life on Halloween? Amazon has a slew of silk pajamas, bright blazers, 24K Magic hats, and gold chains that will help you get your Uptown Funk on this year! Bonus points if you can convince a friend or BF to go as your very own James Corden.
- Moana: This one is a personal favorite because (a) it’s what I’m being for Halloween (b) she is such a kick-butt Disney princess (c) you get to rock a flower crown! Craft your own crown, or choose from one of the many options on Etsy, and you’re only a grass skirt away from going on your own ocean adventure!
Not sold on these ideas? Here are some inspirational photos to get your imagination flowing!
Must-have products to pull your costume together in a pinch are:
- KILLAWATT Freestyle Highlighter from Fenty Beauty: There is no beauty star quite like Rihanna, and this highlighter is next level! We recommend TROPHY WIFE for the balloon drop costume, and MEAN MONEY/HU$TLA BABY
- HAIRDO Hair Highlight Extension: This adds extra glamour to any costume, but I especially like these for the Moana costume to help your flower crown really stand out.
- Palladio Crushed Metallic Eye Shadow: From a deep smokey eye for Cruella de Vil to adding a little sparkle to Bruno Mars, there are tons of color options to choose from. Plus, these do not smudge!
- Sephora Lashstash: Seven deluxe-size mascaras. Two full-size mascaras. All the pretty lashes that Halloween could ever want.
- HairUWear Hair Color Strip: Add green to your Mother Earth costume, or extra pops of color in your horoscope outfit, depending on which shade you choose.
- Palladio Herbal Lipstick: No Cruella de Vil costume would be complete without this guy!
- Glitter Cat Ear Headband: This one doesn’t go with a costume. I just think it’s super cute, and it’s really a costume within itself!