One week from tomorrow the musical whirlwind that is Lollapalooza will hit Chicago. For many Windy City natives, this is already set in stone on their calendars but for Lolla virgins or those looking to mix it up a bit, we have our recommendations for making this your best festival weekend yet. From at home entertaining to parties to your style, we have you covered.
Starting the day off right is a key first step, so we recommend gathering the troops at your house to give everyone a central meeting place before heading to your first show. Have a boozy early breakfast, and serve one of our favorite summer drinks: sangria. It’s easy to make in large batches and goes with a wide range of breakfast foods (we love a good bagel bar). To make it easy, we had Ciroc whip up a delicious Pineapple Sangria recipe.
10 oz Ciroc Pineapple
10 oz rose wine
5 oz fresh lemon juice
5 oz simple syrup
20 oz berry tea
Stir over ice in a 64 oz pitcher
Once you have the crew assembled, you better make sure your look is on point. For some, festival style is an integral part of the weekend, so it’s not time to mess around. Luckily, Chicago has plenty of experts to help out.
For clothes, Rent the Runway has always been an easy go-to but its now even more so thanks to their new storefront on 710 North Wabash. If you’re coming in from out of town, you can still order online but we recommend stopping into the store if you’re from Chicago. Their team will sort you out with easy and comfortable looks that are still very stylish. We love this Mara Hoffman romper for festivalgoers, or (if you’re just heading to after-parties) this bold Trina Turk jumpsuit for night.
No Lolla look is complete without the proper hair, and Dreamdry now has multiple locations across the city, including a new spot in the Waldorf Astoria. Their Bianca or Fishtail styles are great choices for the weekend and we also got special tips from Rachel Zoe’s team on how to make your look last.
- Keep your braid tight for day one, and once you sleep on it, it will have that loose, messy look for day two.
- Sleeping on a silk pillowcase keeps hair from frizzing or falling out of a style.
- Wear the braid for two to three days, then drop hair down on your final day for fabulous loose mermaid waves.
Okay, now you’re ready to go and hit the festival! We have our favorite Lolla acts (Walk the Moon, The Weekend, Sam Smith and MisterWives among them) but also be sure to wander around and check out new bands. Lots of groups have played Lolla before they hit it big, so you could be seeing the next Kanye West or Ellie Goulding.
After the shows are over, you have two options: go home and recover, or continue to rage. We would never judge either option, and we have you covered in both cases.
First, the parties. Even after the Lolla performers have finished, there are plenty of fun after events or all-weekend spots you won’t want to miss.
- The best and the brightest will be at The Hard Rock Hotel’s Culture Collide Chicago after Parties Series. On both Friday and Saturday night starting at 10 pm, the hotel will feature a line up of guest DJs and bands like Slick Rick and Bleachers in a truly rock n’ roll atmosphere. It’s right next to the festival grounds so it’s very accessible, but head over there as soon as you can, because this will be a popular spot! For more info and tickets, look here.
- If you want some food while you party, Lolla After Dark’s Musically Mastered Menu is a more intimate event with a performance from Zella Day, and treats from Stephanie Izzard’s Little Goat Diner. Tickets can be purchase here.
- Last, an event that actually starts this weekend is Block 37’s fourth annual LollShop pop-up store, which is the official pop-up of the festival. It offers Lolla-branded gear, mini-boutiques and fun activities at Block 37’s State Street store. This hot spot opens tomorrow at 10 am and is a great place to get you in that festival mood, before the gates even open at Grant Park.
But if you need to head home and take a breather that can be just as delightful. We recommend indulging in a bit of bubbly from Chandon. The fan favorite is celebrating a #ChandonSummer with a limited edition brut and rose in specially designed bottles. They’re the perfect way to kick your feet up and relax after a long day in the sun.
For an added bonus, pair your drink with a Frutarre fruit bar. We just discovered these real fruit desserts that come from sustainable farms and we have never felt better about eating dessert. They pair well with the sparkling wine and will have you ready for Lollapalooza Day II…or Day III even!