Winter is the harshest season on your body, both inside and out. Skin and hair get dried out, its harder to stay motivated to work out, and those baggy sweaters can hide a lot of GrubHub nights in. But if your goal for the new year was to eat healthier, live cleaner, and take better care of yourself…there’s still time!
Fresh Thyme Farmer’s Markets, the Midwestern healthy, organic grocery store, has simple ingredients to get us back on track for a healthy 2016 with items you can pick up in the grocery store! Allison Krupp, Vice President of Marketing at Fresh Thyme says, “We can help our body prepare itself for our new goals by smartly shopping at our local Fresh Thyme.”
IN 2016, I WILL EAT HEALTHIER…
The most popular of New Year’s resolutions? To eat healthier, and Krupp believes fruits and vegetables are at the heart of healthy eating. Krupp recommends picking up cauliflower, kale, swiss chard and avocado, all found in the Fresh Thyme produce department.
- A cup of cauliflower has less calories than broccoli while also packing in more potassium and vitamins, and nutritionists claim the vegetable boasts some cancer-fighting properties.
- Kale, the reigning mega-superfood, packs a whopping serving of B6, dietary fiber, calcium, potassium and 6 more major vitamins and minerals.
- Avocado, actually a fruit, contains the good fat our bodies need for optimal health. This workhorse offers 20 vitamins and minerals, and are a must-have item for beautiful skin. Mash it up and it makes a great facial and hair mask.
- Another popular cruciferous vegetable, swiss chard boasts many cancer-fighting properties. One cup serves more than 700% of your daily vitamin K requirements and is rich in antioxidants, which protect cells from damage and toxins.
IN 2016, I WILL BE MORE ENERGETIC…
Good carbohydrates and protein rich foods are key to energy! Foods high in fat and calories show you down and leave you feeling sluggish. Instead of coffee, Krupp recommends fruits and proteins…
- A spoonful of honey is nature’s energy drink. It provides your muscles the fuel they need to sustain the body during intense exercise and long work days.
- Bananas, the world’s first fast, on-the-go food, is loaded with sugars and fiber, which we need to fuel our bodies. Topped with peanut or almond butter, this fruit is a guaranteed pick up.
- Loaded with good nutrients and proteins, peanut butter provides a long acting energy flow. Perfect spread over a rice cake or stalk of celery. Fresh Thyme even offers a grind your own nut option!
IN 2016, I WILL LOOK GOOD, INSIDE AND OUT…
Of all the news coming from the beauty community, the loudest buzz may be about the power of vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients to give skin a more radiant, healthy, and, yes, youthful glow.
“The easy answer to looking good is a diet low in processed foods,” says Krupp. Her tip is to eat foods as close as possible to their raw or natural state, decrease your intake of sugars, heavy carbs and sodium. And, use fruits and veggies as beauty products!
- Coconut oil is your biggest ally. It can be used as a moisturizer, make up remover and hair treatment. It can be ingested for healthy glowing skin.
- Papaya is natural exfoliant. Apply a mask of ground papaya on your face to get a special glow.
- Pumpkin can also work as an exfoliator and avocado can be a natural moisturizer.
IN 2016, I WILL GET MORE SLEEP…
Some food items have shown to help optimize sleep so you can be productive, mentally sharp, emotionally balanced, and full of energy all day long.
- Almonds are high in magnesium, which is necessary for a good night’s sleep.
- Walnuts are rich in tryptophan, an amino acid, which helps make our sleep hormones.
- Cherry Juice is high in melatonin, a hormone, which helps us sleep.