Blogging is insanely fun. It is constantly trying new foods, testing out beauty products, modeling brands- and then, you know, writing about it. It’s picture-esque and makes bloggers look like they walk around in a cloud of Pinterest-worthy shoes where Pottery Barn accessories are always at they ready for when we inevitably “take” (and by take, I obviously mean stage the crap out of and take it from 59 different angles) the ‘grams.
But sometimes I read blogs, heck, I read my own blog posts, and I find myself asking “why is this important?” Where’s the heart in ‘5 Trendy Pairs of Jeans? Where’s the meaning in ‘9 Moves to Your Best Butt?” I get lost sometimes in the trivialness of some of the topics I write about, so this month I wanted to start out by answering some of my own questions.
Why is this meaningful? How can I use my skills to help others? And my answer inevitably turned into a blog post- what are things that we (you and I, my loyal reader) can do to make this world a better place? What are the things we love and we’re good at that can allow us to give back to others?
And this list was born. And not that I think the world is better because of a stupid blog post, but I think that by signing up to volunteer at PAWS this month maybe I’ve made a puppy’s life better. Maybe if you purchase a Love Your Melon beanie, you’ve made a pediatric cancer patient’s life better. It’s not life-changing, but maybe smiles come from the little things, maybe charity can be asking a stranger if they’re ok, maybe there’s a big difference in giving a small compliment.
Your challenge this month should you choose to accept with me, is to be more charitable. Let’s make a difference in someone else’s life simply because we can.
- Put a smile and a hat on a child battling pediatric cancer by buying a Love Your Melon beanie
- Give a pair of glasses to someone in need when you purchase your new specs from Warby Parker
- Volunteer to be a Wish Granter at Make A Wish Foundation to help make a terminally ill child’s biggest dream come to life
- Get your hair done at George the Salon and help raise money for On Your Feet Foundation
- Love working out? Every mile you run, walk or bike can counted to raise money for 20 different charities on the Charity Miles app
- Buy a backpack at State and backpack filled with school supplies will be sent to a child in need
- Play with dogs and help save homeless pets at Chicago’s only No Kill Shelter, PAWS
- Buy a pair of Roma rain boots and the company will donate a pair filled with school supplies to a child in need
- Grab tickets to Frontera’s 30th Anniverary Bash featuring Celebrity Chefs including Stephanie Izard, Marcus Samuelson, Paul Kahan and many more with proceeds going towards farm aide and efforts to make food more sustainable
- Jewelry fiend? Purchase one of these cute Whistle Necklaces and help the campaign to restore peace in the Congo