Meghan Trainor’s song “Dear Future Husband” got us thinking. Vowing ’till death do us part’ is a huge commitment that everyone hopes to make only once. But how do you know for sure if you’ve picked the right guy?
Everyone looks for something different when searching for their soul mate, but we think these eight non-negotiable qualities are ones the man of your dreams must posses in order for him to even be considered “husband material.”
1. The ability to have fun. Because who wants to spend eternity with a Debbie Downer? Whether you’re on a spontaneous road trip or waiting in line at the DMV, your day is more exciting and a whole lot funnier when he’s by your side.
2. A positive attitude. We all have our moments when we feel like the whole world is out to ruin our lives, so it’s important to have someone there that can bring you back up when you’re down. Sometimes, all we really need is a little reassurance that everything will be okay and it means that much more coming from someone we love.
3. Maturity to settle arguments. One crucial thing guys must be able to understand before being considered “husband material,” is the ability to talk through a problem without losing his cool or starting a fight. If he’s able to admit when he’s wrong, diffuse your temper, or even better, utter the magic words “you’re right,” then you know he’s a keeper.
4. Strong family values. It should be a no brainer that if he has strong family values, than relationships are very important to him. Meeting his family will be a big deal to him if you are a considerable part of his life.
5. Goals and ambitions of his own. We all have things we want to accomplish in life and it feels good when the man we want to marry has goals of his own, too. It could be as simple as buying a house or moving up in a company – it’s attractive to see someone passionate about their dreams.
6. Plans for the future. Guys know when you’re part of their future. But it doesn’t necessarily mean you have to talk marriage to figure out if he’s thinking of you as his long-term love. Maybe he hints about how excited he’d be to take you to his best friend’s destination wedding next year, or casually mentions both of your leases are up around the same time next month–signals that things are heading in the right direction. On the other hang, if he talks about moving to Italy next year, but you’re tied down in law school til 2017, then there’s a pretty good chance his happily ever after doesn’t include you.
7. A love for the same things. If it’s a constant struggle to talk about the things you are passionate about because his eyes glaze over every time you do, it’s probably not love. True partners find a way to share the things they love, while also finding a way to relate the things you care about as well.
8. Thoughtfulness. It’s easy to forget romance once a relationship seems to get comfortable, but a good guy will find ways to make you feel special–whether it’s by bringing home your favorite pizza after you’ve had a long day at work, creeping on your Pinterest board for a perfect birthday present, or giving you control of the remote–no matter how long you’ve been together.