Someone recently asked me what’s one of the best gifts I’ve ever received.
I had to churn through some memories. I mean, the mini Hogwarts Castle with character figurines from my parents was pretty dang sweet when I was 13. Or the time my ex gifted me a drool-worthy Coach purse. My Vince Camuto booties courtesy of my mom are pretty up there too.
And all of those gifts were incredible (seriously, Mom and Dad because I know you’re reading this- keep those HP gifts comin’), I actually ended up with a different, more recent, answer.
It was a $13 necklace my roommate got me a few weeks ago while she was shopping at an inconspicuous farmer’s market while traveling for work.
It was just a plain and simple, seemingly ordinary, gold necklace. It had a tiny pendant with the markings of a subtle compass. Trendy. Cute.
When she gifted it to me, she explained that it made her think of me, that she knew I was “navigating some tough waters” (thoughtful and punny, this one), but to always have faith that I’m headed in the right direction. Relatively certain I burst into thankful tears while simultaneously opening it and promptly putting it on.
Moral of the story: it’s not about the price tag. It’s not about spending x amount of dollars on someone, but spending x amount of time thinking about someone and gifting them a present of intention and thoughtfulness. From the simple sentiment of “I thought this lip color would look bomb on you,” to “you can’t survive another day without this donut phone case in your life,” here’s a gift guide dedicated to presents that are more about how much thought you’ll give someone, versus how many dollars you’re willing to spend on them.
(And they’re also all under $50, because, like, we still need to be able to afford rent when all this Christmas is said and done.)
(From left to right)
- Bdellium Makeup Brushes: For the beauty gurus
- Wireless Bluetooth headphones: In Rose Gold because duh
- Pom Beanie: Even more obsessed with these from Love Your Melon
- Sonix Floral Phone Case: Because no girl ever gets enough flowers
- Temporary Tattoo Set: Have a festie bestie? These are perfect for your next festival
- Bobby Brown Sparkle Eyeshadow: Life’s short. Wear the glitter.
- Kitty Headphones: If they’re a cat person who loves music (wait, these are so awesome)
- Hardshell Case for MacBook: For the techie chic gal in your life
- Nars Toy Velvet Lip Glide: This color is everyone’s color
- Glitter Stud Earrings: When in doubt, glitter it out
- Leather Snapback Baseball Hat: For anyone else who also thinks showering is overrated
- Shockslim Donut Phone Case: Love donuts? Say no more
- Gold Pineapple Candle: Scent-ual
- Fossil Blue Hue Wallet: BECAUSE SALE SALE SALE
- Sorina Bow Cuff Bracelet: For the gal in your life who loves a well-placed bow