Summer is great for patio sitting and traveling with friends, but all the heat and humidity can wreak havoc on our hairstyles. There’s nothing worse than spending forever on your hair only to have it fall or frizz or get sweaty before the party is over! We called in our favorite at-home stylist, Amanda Dierich from Blohaute, to give us two easy styles that will not only survive the heat…but beat it!
Real Beach Waves
- Start by spraying hair with a medium hold hairspray. (Amanda uses Fave4 Workable Wear and after we tried, we’re hooked too!)
- Using either a 1 inch or 1.25 inch curling iron depending on hair length, begin to curl hair starting at the root (curl away from your face). At the end of the strand instead of unclamping the curling iron, keep it clamped and simply pull straight down until the hair slides out of the curling iron.
* Tip – Pulling straight down with the curling iron will help preserve length while curling
- After you reach behind the ear you can continue the same curling method, but now alternate between curling toward & away from the face.
- Repeat this process around the entire head.
- Spray hair with a dry texture hairspray.
* Tip- flip head over and spray texture spray directly into the hair to add extra volume. (Amanda recommend Fave4 Texture Takeover)
- Run fingers through hair to separate the curls & create more of a tousled wave. Ta da!
Boho Fishtail Crown Braid
- Start by spraying the hair with a dry texture hairspray. (That Fave4 Texture Takeover again)
- Diagonally part the hair down the back of the head. This will help to diffuse any distinct parting line. Separate hair into two sections, one on either side.
- Beginning behind the ear on one side, start a fishtail braid.
* Fishtail Braid Tips: Separate hair into two sections. Begin by grabbing a strand from the outside of the right section. Cross that strand over to join the left section. Now take a strand from the outside of the left section, and cross that over to join the right section. Repeat this process until you have reached the ends of the hair.
- Once you have completed the fishtail (but before securing with an elastic) spray with a dry texture hairspray and begin to stretch out the braid. To stretch, pull at either side of the braid starting from the bottom and working your way up to the top of the braid. Once stretched, secure with an elastic.
- Repeat this fishtail technique on the other side of the head.
- Wrap one fishtail braid around the top of the head and secure with either a hair pin or a bobby pin. Repeat with the other braid, tucking the ends under the opposite braid. Secure with a pin.
- Pull out any pieces around the face to create a softer more boho look. This one is perfect for Lolla looks!