Photo above: The new Be Styled Blow Dry Bar in Chestnut Hill.
There are very few things that suck about summer, my hair is one of those things. Rather than experience daily disappointment when I spend 20 minutes straightening my hair and it’s frizzy three minutes after I walk outside, I usually wear my hair in a top knot most of the summer. Since that is super boring, when I recently had the chance to pick the brain of Nick Penna Jr., owner and lead stylist of SalonCapri in Boston, Newton and Dedham, Mass. and creative director of the new Be Styled Blowdry Lounge in Chestnut Hill, one of the first things I wanted to know was: What hairstyles can I do that are easy and that won’t be ruined by humidity? Here are his three suggestions.
“A hot hair trend for summer is the relaxed side braid,” says Nick. “It can take you straight from a night out at your favorite locale to the beach the next day.”
Here’s how to get the look:
- After blow-drying, gather your hair to one side in a low ponytail, securing it close to the base of your neck with a clear elastic.
- Next, create a braid incorporating hair from one section into the other until you run out of hair; then secure with another clear elastic.
- Finally (here’s the secret!), with a pair of scissors, carefully cut out the top elastic to give the braid a loose, casual look. Voila!
Nick’s Bonus Tip: Want two days of great hair? If you have the time, nix the blow-dry and let your braid air dry. Braiding clean, damp hair is a great way to get great next day natural curls without the heat. Leave this braid in while you are at the beach, and when you are ready to hit your next stop of the evening, take down your hair and you’ll instantly get that oh-so-desirable beachy waves look.
Follow with a shine boosting spray or serum such as Kerastase Cristalliste Lumiere Liquide Shine perfecting serum.
Wrap it up
“Summer is the perfect time to play with the casual yet pulled together look,” Nick says. “Take a fun, brightly colored scarf from your closet and turn it into your best summertime accessory. Simply wrap the scarf around your pulled back hair and tie a knot at the base of your hairline for an easy to wear look. This look is great for days at the beach to shopping on the boardwalk.”
The disheveled chignon
“This casual, low chignon is a current trend that is easy to wear for any summer occasion and is great for on-the-go situations (i.e. from a day at the beach or pool, straight to dinner or a party),” he says.
Here’s how to get the look”
- “Rake” your hair with your fingers, brushing it back into a low ponytail and secure with an elastic band.
- Grab the ponytail and begin to coil it with one hand into a bun at the back of your head. Secure the coiled hair with bobby pins as you wrap.
- Take any loose strands of hair and wrap them back around the bun and tuck, securing with more bobby pins. The chignon is meant to look imperfect!
That’s not all we have from Nick! Stay tuned next week for his top summer hair care tips.