Move over Man Cave! Girls run the world, and we want our own space too! After years of guys having all the fun by escaping to their Man Caves in the basement or above the garage, we are taking a stand. Enter, the She Shed.
This is an area of the house dedicated to just, and only just, what the lady of the house wants. There are no poker games or boys nights here (unless we want to allow that), but the She Shed is an oasis for relaxation and privacy in the busy household life. To learn more about this burgeoning trend, and plan for Shed Sheds of our own, we spoke to Melissa Simon, Media Relations Specialist for Pier 1 Imports. She gave us the DIY lowdown on making our own happy place…
How would you define a She Shed?
A She Shed is a woman’s version of a Man Cave. Women are now transforming backyard storage sheds to a peaceful place she can go to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and spend a little time doing whatever makes her happy.
Why is it important for women to have their own space at home?
Finding somewhere to relax, reflect or get inspired is good for everyone’s well-being. Taking a pause to rejuvenate can soothe the mind, body and soul.
We’re taking on the Man Cave! How do you think guys will react to these She Sheds?
Men will certainly be very receptive of the She Shed. This could also give them a good excuse to revamp their own man cave.
What are some rooms or areas that can be easily converted into a personal space?
A study or office, den, basement or attic and an extra bedroom could all be transformed into your own personal haven.
How can women work to make their She Shed a natural fit and part of their home?
Personalizing the area can make the space feel like part of the home. Using the same aromas and color palette as the family room can help make your She Shed an extension of your home. Don’t forget to fill the space with photos of loved ones just as you would in any other room in your house.
What are some colors or decorating themes that can help to create a relaxing space?
Shades of blue are always calming. And keep complicated patterns to a minimum. Keep décor simple with neutrals, grays and soft lighting.
What does every good She Shed need inside it?
Anything that promotes comfort and tranquility. Throw pillows, wall art and candles are good basics to use as a starting point.
Melissa also worked with our team to select some of our favorite “She Shed Must-Haves” for your own at-home oasis:
- The Ashworth Storage Daybed is a versatile way to add seating plus it can be used for those times when you need a quick power nap (the ultimate escape)
- Lanterns like the Flower Gem Lanterns are a great way to incorporate soft lighting for a relaxing feel whether you use an LED light or your favorite scented candle
- Comfort is at the core of the She Shed. Toss around some throw pillows like these Vintage Garden Embroidered Flower Pillow to add a pop of color and coziness.
- What is an escape space without some wine? This Napa Wine Rack is practical and also decorative, so its the perfect balance for your space.
- Aside from candles, there is no better way to add some sparkle than with twinkle lights! These Jewel Glimmer Strings add the perfect amount of whimsy to a girl She Shed.
These and other fun homegoods are all from Pier 1 Imports, our new She Shed experts!