Photo courtesy of NYTimes.com
I used to do a weekly wrap-up of fun news, reading and blog posts called “In Case You Missed It,” and I’ve decided to bring it back.
1. The New York Times checked out “Hippie Chic” at the Museum of Fine Arts, and, with this paragraph, reminded me how badly I need to visit the exhibit:
“With only a faint whiff of what it meant to be counterculture — and this exhibition could use the scent of marijuana, just as Diana Vreeland once pumped Chanel No. 5 into exhibitions at the Met in the 1970s — “Hippie Chic” mostly demonstrates how rapidly Woodstock wear was turned into flowing caftans and crushed-velvet suits, first by hip boutiques like Ossie Clark and Granny Takes a Trip and soon after by the designers Arnold Scaasi, Geoffrey Beene and Yves Saint Laurent.”
“Hippie Chic” runs through November 11, so there’s still some time.
2. New York Fashion Week starts in just a few days! If you can’t be there in person but still want to follow along, log onto Pinterest. The site recently created a “Fashion Week Hub,” that will include pin boards curated by designers, bloggers, brands and publishers involved in fashion week.
3. The Back Bay Association and Boston Magazine have teamed up to bring a Fashion’s Night Out-like event back to Boston this year. Back Bay on Display, which will take place September 12, is “an evening where Back Bay businesses, including stores, hotels and restaurants, will offer consumers special experiences and benefits,” according to press release. Sounds like fun!
4. Fabulous Boston interior designer/blogger Erin Gates of Elements of Style is moving her office…and having an online tag sale! Albeit it’s a small one, and some of the items have already been sold, but check out what’s left, here.
5. I found this interview with Details magazine staffers to be interesting, mostly because of the introduction, which says “Working at a magazine is easily one of the most glamorous jobs out there, with fashionable photo shoots and groundbreaking editorial coverage happening around the clock.” Ha. Haha.
6. There’s a bar made of ice opening in Faneuil Hall. In case you’re into that sort of thing.
7. After New York Fashion Week wraps up, Boston’s own fashion week begins. But this year, things will be a little different.
8. I stumbled upon this PR news IQ quiz from the Pew Research Center, which tests what you know about the news. I got 12 of the 13 questions right, which I thought was good until my husband got all 13. Check out your own IQ, here.
I’m not even going to get started on Miley Cyrus.