New York Fashion Week is technically all about clothes: the ones we’ll be wearing in six months, courtesy of the designer runways, and the ones we’ll be wearing tomorrow, courtesy of the street style stars that create their own fashion showcase on the sidewalks.
But, if you peel your eyes away from Alexander Wang’s latest for a second, you’ll also notice there is a ton of beauty inspiration to be had during fashion week. From the fresh-faced looks sported by off duty models, to the over the top lipstick shades and sculpted hairstyles worn down the runways, fashion week offers up plenty of reasons to step outside your beauty comfort zone.
Here, seven of the biggest trends from the runways of fashion week to freshen up your beauty routine.
1. The center part. Forget the side-swept bang. Models rocked center parts and natural texture on just about every other runway show we saw. The good news: An on-trend hairstyle has never been easier!
Where we saw it: Rodarte, Tory Burch, 3.1 Philip Lim, Jill Stuart
2. The matte berry lip. This ladylike take on a dark lip was paired with minimal makeup elsewhere (a good style note to remember to prevent looking like a lady of the night).
Where we saw it: Carolina Herrera, Kate spade, 3.1 Philip Lim
3. The editor bun. Could this be your new go-to work hairstyle? The top knot has been traded in for what we’re calling the editor bun, a slicked back twist at the nape of the neck.
Where we saw it: Alice & Olivia, DVF, Wes Gordon
4. The super-nude lip. This trend is basically the reverse of the berry matte lip, in that it’s often paired with a bolder eye look (like the pink and yellow eye shadow on the models below). Plus, it’s super easy to do: simply swipe a tiny dab of your foundation across your lips, and top it off with clear lip gloss or balm.
Where we saw it: Christian Siriano, Del Pozo, Brandon Sun
5. The high-impact eye. Whether it was electric blue paired with nude tones, or jet black and soft white, eye makeup struck a stark contrast at shows around town.
Where we saw it: Karen Walker,Brandon Sun
6. The no makeup makeup. “I woke up like this” is now officially a beauty look. A morning makeup routine that requires a little concealer and some lip balm? We’ll take it.
Were we saw it: Everywhere.