It may be August, but don’t let anyone tell you that summer is almost over. We’ve still got plenty of days to lay out and hit the beach. While you’re soaking up the last of August’s rays, don’t forget there is an art to doing beauty right in the summer–and it doesn’t have to involve loads of makeup or a straight up au-natural look (although my motto has always been, if you’ve got it flaunt it, and if you can rock the no makeup look without making everyone want to cover their eyes, go for it, girl!)
In the meantime, here are 12 of my favorite summer beauty secrets and products to last you through the rest of these humid summer days:
1. It’s HOT and the minute you go outside, your perfectly done up makeup can start to melt away (eek). The best product I’ve found to hold my foundation and not melt away with the heat is Smashbox’s Photo Finish Foundation Primer–seriously if it could last on my trip to the rainforest, it can handle anything!
2. If you have curly hair like mine, this time of year is a nightmare. The humidity takes frizz to the next level (aka I look like Anne Hathaway before her makeover in Princess Diaries). The only thing saving my hair is Paul Mitchell’s Super Skinny Serum. It eliminates the frizz, and still leaves a little wave in my hair. It also lasts forever– I can make a single bottle last for almost a year, which is practically forever in hair time.
3. The summer is always the best time to get those natural highlights from the sun, but if you want to speed up the process, try this DIY mixture before you lay out (hellooo no more Sun-In).
4. & 5. After all of the sun, sand, and surf that your hair is partaking in this summer, you’re going to need a serious deep conditioning treatment. If you start off your day with this Aveda Sun Care Protective Hair Veil, you’ll be in a good spot, but it’s always great to switch it up with a good deep conditioner every so often.
6. Raccoon eyes are all too real in the summer, and waterproof mascara is the only way to deal with them. Try Maybelline’s Great Lash Waterproof Mascara (it just proves you don’t have to spend a ton for a great product).
7. After reading in Cosmo one day about slicing up raw potatoes, soaking them in water, and then placing them over your eyes to de-puff them, I had to try it out. Believe me, it actually does work. Use it after a day at the beach or a summer night out with friends.
8. My one saving grace this summer has been these makeup wipes. Normally makeup wipes always sting my skin and leave it red and itchy, so this all natural brand really does the trick.
9. You can’t go wrong with a mud mask to rejuvenate your skin, and this DIY version of a coffee mud mask is my favorite.
10. If you’re on the beach in a bikini, the last thing you want is razor burn. Once I discovered Shaveworks’ Cool Fix Gel, I can’t go without it.
Let us know what your go-to summer beauty trick or product is in the comments!